The District’s chief executive officer directs the District & motivates members to achieve Distinguished status, promoting a standard of excellence in all District activities.
Our 2017-2018 District Director is
Deborah Darbee, DTM
A Toastmaster since August 2000, Deborah’s Toastmasters journey began when she was unable to locate a convenient community club and decided to charter a club at her office. The New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development’s club, LWD Toastmasters, was formed. Ms. Darbee has worked for the Department of Labor and Workforce Development, for more than 30 years, currently in the position of Chief Employment and Training. In addition to her continued membership in LWD Toastmasters, she is a member of the Washington Crossing Toastmasters Club and serves as Vice President of Public Relations for both clubs.
Her passion for Toastmasters and the experience gained through a wide variety of District leadership roles, have prepared Deborah for her role as Program Quality Director. Highlights of her service and experience include:
Toastmasters Awards and Recognition
• Nov. 2010 Earned Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) Award
• 2009-2010 District 38 Division Governor of the Year
• 2008-2009 District 38 Division Governor of the Year
Toastmasters District 38 Offices
• 2016-2017 District 38 Club Growth Director
• 2015-2016 Division Director Mentor
• 2014-2015 Division Governor Mentor
• 2011-2012 District Parliamentarian
• 2010-2011 District Chief Judge
• 2009-2010 Division F Governor – President’s Distinguished
• 2008-2009 Division F Governor – President’s Distinguished
• 2007-2008 Area 20 Governor – President’s Distinguished
Deborah’s Toastmasters’ service also includes: serving as Co-Chair for the District 38 Spring Conference in 2010; participating in over 12 demonstration sessions; serving as Sponsor and/or Mentor for five clubs; serving as Charter President of her home club; organizing/chairing as well as presenting at numerous club officer training and Toastmasters Leadership Institutes (TLI); and serving as a Youth Leadership Coordinator.
Deborah is passionate, enthusiastic and serves with excellence. She reminds us that Toastmasters is the best organization to encourage and enable its members to find their voice, tell their story, and achieve their communication and leadership goals. Her vision is that all members of District 38 will be inspired, and will inspire others, to dream more, learn more, do more and become more through a quality club experience.
The District’s program quality director is the second-ranking member of the district executive committee, and presides over that body and the district council in the absence of the district director. The program quality director assists the education committees of the member clubs and areas and divisions of the district in utilizing the educational programs and materials of Toastmasters International and has the responsibility for: promoting and supporting club quality and member retention; the training of all division, area and club officers; the preparing and conducting of educational programs for district conferences; the supervising and coordinating of district-wide speech contests; and the formulating of specific educational recognition programs.
Our 2017-2018 Club Growth Director is
Dave Shlegle, DTM
Dave Shlegle has been a dedicated Toastmaster for ten years. Dave joined Lower Bucks Toastmasters in December of 2006 and has been an active member of Lower Bucks Toastmasters, Washington Crossing Toastmasters Club, Successfully Speak Up, and HDR Toastmasters. In addition to serving as the District Club Growth Director, he is the President of Washington Crossing Toastmasters Club.
At the District level Dave has served as:
• District 38 Club Growth Director (2016 – 2017)
• District 38 Statistical Analyst (2011 – 2012)
• President’s Distinguished Division Governor (2010-2011)
• President’s Distinguished Area Governor (2009-2010)
• Select Distinguished Area Governor (2008-2009)
• Chairman of the First Timers Committee (Spring Conference 2010)
• Club Sponsor: Toastwise, Phila Phorm Metro & Merck West Point
• Club Mentor: Toastwise, NJ DEP Toastmasters, & Phila Phorm Metro
Dave’s Educational Awards/Recognition include:
• Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM) earned in 2010
• District 38 “Toastmaster of the Year Award” received in 2011
Most of all, Dave has a real passion for Toastmasters coupled with an unique point of view, his zany sense of humor and some ‘off the wall’ speeches that include “Where’s Waldo”, “I Killed Half my Staff” and “If You’re Happy and You Know It”. There are a lot of adjectives to describe Dave Shlegle but most people agree that his determination and integrity make him a great Toastmaster and effective leader.
Rounding out the “Top Three”, the District’s Club Growth Director makes the benefits of Toastmasters membership available to greater numbers of people by planning, developing, implementing, and directing District marketing objectives. The many responsibilities of the role include: developing/directing programs for new club development, club rescue efforts, club membership promotion, and membership retention; and promoting standards of service to the member and to the club.
Our 2017-2018 Club Growth Director is
Barbara “Basha” McCrumb, DTM
Basha started her Toastmaster’s journey in April 2014. She ran into a longtime friend at a demo meeting, they looked at each other and said….I’ll join if you join. Together they have worked their way to DTM in July of 2017. Basha would advise Toastmasters to join with or find a buddy along the way to encourage and challenge each other to grow.
Basha started Toastmasters as a charter member of the Majestic Toastmasters Club, in Malvern, PA, which was the first Vanguard club. She was so enthusiastic about Toastmasters, that she expanded her involvement with these roles:
• Joined Caesar Rodney toastmasters in Delaware (District 18) in February 2015.
• Became a charter member and the original Treasurer of Polished Professional Advanced Toastmasters Club in Delaware (District 18) in 2015.
• Sponsor and first President of Voicing Great Ideas Toastmasters Club, the second club at Vanguard.
• Mentored Speech Illustrated in 2016, the third club at Vanguard.
• Currently mentoring a group in Arizona that will be chartering two more Vanguard Toastmaster’s club in the next month.
• Mentored the Chubb Malvern Toastmasters Club in Malvern, PA.
• Served as the District 38, Division B Director for the year 2016-2017 – Select Distinguished
Basha is aware of the process to charter a new club, along with the challenges and rewards associated with that process. This will help greatly in her Club Growth Director position.
One of Basha’s favorite toastmaster roles (outside of speaking) is the General Evaluator role. Basha believes strongly in learning from all feedback that is provided during a meeting. She hopes to spread her passion and love for Toastmasters, along with the advantages of feedback through the addition of new clubs.
Basha loves to travel and takes every opportunity to visit a local Toastmaster’s club when possible. She would highly encourage all members to visit various clubs whether near or far and to bring something back to your home club from that experience.
Outside of Toastmasters, Basha is a mother of 6 and the Babushka of 3. Recently, when Basha became an empty nester, she became involved in her local community theatre. Although thus far she has been on the sidelines, there is the hope that someday she may step on stage in an acting role.
One of Basha’s favorite speeches was from the “Speaking to Inform Advanced Manual” – The Abstract Concept. Basha asked everyone to think about “Listening”. With our busy lives, do we really stop to listen to each other? Are we so caught up in our own lives that we can’t take time for others? Are we so set on how everyone else should view the world that we aren’t willing to truly listen?
Basha is looking forward to this year and helping District 38 to better serve its current members and potential members.